Saturday, December 29, 2012

Year in Review - 2012

I blame 'mama brain' on not being able to remember the last 12 months. Oh sure, I remember them. The road trip to Schmeckfest, the milestones of lost teeth, pacifier weaning, removal of braces, etc., but it seems like so long ago... and yet didn't 2012 just start? Amazing.

We all grew this year in a variety of ways.

It's not really fair to Miller that I'm highlighting the pictures that make him look like such a, well, dandy.


He is just so darn cute! And he so doesn't care that he's playing with dolls or wearing pink or getting his toenails painted (at his request.)

Still, Miller is a total boy, obsessed with tractors, trains, and helicopters. His usual tone of voice is LOUD and he runs pretty much everywhere.

This is one sweet boy. Injuries are cured with on-demand kisses, Sophie is regularly greeted with knock-her-down hugs, and he is amazingly gentle for a 2 year old. Sure we have our tantrums and time outs, bedtime can be a really long and exhausting (for the adults) process, but getting to know this boy has probably been the highlight of my year. (and yes, this picture is blurry but just soooo adorable.)


Also this year Roy and I joined the Church of Saint Michael the Archangel, aka, the Church of the Holy Birkenstock. We started attending the more than a year ago, but this year we completed our Catechuminate classes and were accepted by the Bishop as members of the Episcopal Church. We have enjoyed the sense of community it has added to our lives and love being part of a church that (like God) loves everyone, no matter what. There was even room in the Christmas nativity for a duck and giraffe.


Sophie graduated from Kindgergarten in May and is well into her 1st grade year. I don't know about you, but to me these look like two different girls.




She's having a great year, and we're enjoying watching her grow. She's a great reader and loves her teacher. She has a strong group of friends and is really her own person. She's a big fan of science, has a beautiful singing voice, and totally understands the scientific method. In short, she's freaking awesome.


She is delightfully silly, kind, and sensitive. This one has an old soul and has a real love of dark, creepy things - which she inherited from her father. Her favorite book is Coraline by Neil Gaiman and she loves mummies and ghosts. She also, at 6 years old, knows more about comic books than I ever will. 




I think Sophie's such a great big sister because she has this guy as a role model.



This year, Riley GREW. Literally. He's taller than me and can no longer fit into my Crocs to mow the lawn.  


He's a great kid, albeit an often surly 14 year old who is IMPOSSIBLE to get out of bed. It kind of boggles my mind to think that in a little more than three years we'll be sending him off to college. He is smart and a genuinely good person. He's developed a deep love for Doctor Who, going through 7 seasons in a matter of a few months. We're quite proud.


Roy is an amazing husband and father who is, deep down, a day dreaming hippie. These past 5 years have not been easy on him. He quit a job he hated to run the Festival of the Bluegrass, of which he is immensely passionate. This, however, did not translate to a paycheck and he has been been trying to find his footing since. This past fall, Roy went to work for his dad at Cornett & Associates, an appraisal firm in Georgetown. This has been a wonderful growth opportunity for him, not only career wise, but he is learning a tremendous amount from his dad.

He continues to provide wisdom, perspective, and patience to our world - not to mention a fair dose of humor.


As for me... I couldn't ask for more. I continue to love my work at the Library and with the Festival. My kids are kind, healthy and full of love for each other. I get to do the things I enjoy - cook, read, knit, dig in the dirt and, occasionally, relax with some mindless TV (Project Runway and Top Chef respectively). I'm still trying to find the balance between encouraging creative play in my kids and tolerating the mess it creates. Please, let me know if you have found it because I'm not sure it exists.
I love Lexington and Kentucky just seriously kicks ass. I never expected to end up living this life, and yet it is everything I ever hoped for. Color me lucky.


While our family found grace in the every-day, this was not an easy year globally - Syria, Newtown, the Election, Egypt, Palestine, Aurora, strange and scary weather patterns - just to name a few. While I find myself grateful for my personal blessings, these events of war, violence, and intolerance (on both sides of the political spectrum) have brought me to my knees on most Sundays. I'm a glass half full kind of girl and continue to believe that we will find a way to work together in the coming year.

Blessings to you, my friends, and deep love.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Thank you for sharing! This is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

!!!!! the pic of Somophomie in the rain with her galoshes is my 2nd favorite sophie pic.....my number one is, and probably always will be "she was supposed to be cleaning her room". You guys are so lucky to have such good kids, but not nearly so lucky as those kids are to have you guys! (sorry, you're in KY,...as those kids are to have your all's)
xoxoxo dottie

kristin said...

balm and manna and other good things.

loved this.

thank you.

happy new year.

(and the movement on the nail painting photo is mesmerizing to me!!)