Monday, May 21, 2007

I like this

One of the benefits of my job at the Library is getting to read the uncorrected proofs. Now and again, I find a real gem. Today I left my Harry Potter 3 (yes! I've made progress!) at home and deferred to my fall-back Uncorrected Proof, "The Discomfort Zone" by Jonathan Franzen. In it, I found this. And I liked it.

"This is a great time to be an American CEO, a tough time to be the CEO's lowest paid worker. A great time to be Wal-Mart, a tough time to be in Wal-Mart's way, a great time to be an incumbant extremist, a tough time to be a moderate challenger. Fabulous to be a defense contractor, shitty to be a reservist, excellent to have tenure at Princeton, grueling to be an adjunct at Queens College, outstanding to manage a pension fund, lousy to rely on one, better than ever to be bestselling, harder than ever to be mid-list, phenomenal to win a Texas Hold 'Em tournament, a drag to be a video-poker addict."

No comments: