Thursday, September 6, 2007

Ramona Quimby, Age 8

The other day I was at the (evil and wonderful) used book store that lives in the basement of the library. I was innocently minding my own business when I stumbled into the children's book section. I bought lots of things, like 'are you my mother' and 'the foot book'. But what really jumped out at my was 'Ramona Quimby, Age 8.'

This was the book that made me fall in love with reading and I knew I had to get it for Sophie. I re-read it for the first time as an adult and was ASTOUNDED at how brilliant this book is. The knowing looks between the parents that lost me as a child, how Beverly Cleary made me feel 8 all over again, helped me to re-live my 3rd grade year. This is what children's literature is all about and I can't wait to share it with my kids.

4 comments:

kristin said...

i can't believe that my own naomi has moved beyond this wonderful gem...micah and eliza are coming though.

i have the exact same memories of this book...

Anonymous said...

There are no books that I loved more as a grade schooler than Beverly Cleary's. I read every book she ever wrote - over and over and over and over. My name filled the library card from top to bottom in every one of Marion Public School's Beverly Cleary books. I loved Beezus and Henry and Ralph S. Mouse and Socks and all of her other characters, but I wanted to BE Ramona. My heart still aches for love of those books!

Nikki said...

Oh wow. I had forgotten about the "Ramona" books. I loved them so much! How awesome that you are getting it for her. Sophie is so lucky to have such an awesome mom. :)

singlemomo1 said...

I couldn't agree with you more! That is the same book that made me fall in love with reading. I cannot wait until my little girl (5yrs) can enjoy these books as well. My mom is the one who taught me to love books and to this day, I read just about everything I can. Hopefully I can pass that on as well. Thanks for your great blog!