Saturday, August 16, 2008

the beauty of this august

Despite feeling a bit out of sorts and irritable myself, it was nearly impossible not to be inspired by this day. My eight Kentucky Augusts have not seen such beautiful weather.

We met Roy's granddad (and Sophie's biggest fan) at the Farmer's Market and picked up some things to get us through the week. I spent the rest of the day mowing the lawn, doing the never ending loads of laundry, and I indulged just a little by running to Rebelle for a skein of the softest, deep purple bamboo yarn that will soon be a hat for the Cornetts' next great Grandchild, due in October.

After dinner, Sophie and I went to the Arboretum. I am ashamed that we haven't been there this summer. After spending the evening, I am even more so.
We spent a couple of hours there, walking through the bird house exibit scattered in the gardens. Sophie was especially entranced by them.
and playing in the giant logs. I try not to think about where they came from.I continue to feel grateful for these moments. This day reminds me of an Ojibwe saying, "Sometimes I go about pitying myself, all the while a great wind is bearing me across the sky."