Saturday, August 30, 2008

on my mind

Sophie still doesn't understand the finer points of sleeping in on Saturday morning. At 5:30 she was calling for me. 5:30! On a Saturday!! I gave it a few minutes, hoping she would lay down and go back to sleep. But alas, twas not to be. We got up and laid on the couch and I was hoping for a nice nap. No takers. This child was ready to start her day.

Despite the tiredness, I do love these mornings. They give me time in the quiet house, with that nearly perfect first cup of coffee, to reflect before the sun rises. Here are some of the things I've been thinking about:

How can people not be inspired into action by Obama, and if he loses, will I ever have faith in my country again?

What role do I want yoga to play in my life, and how much time do I have/want to dedicate to its practice?

Is Sophie's suddenly demanding and dramatic personality a sign of her "terrible" 2's and what is the best way to deal with it? So many options and more than one that is right.

Is her ability to give great hugs nature or nurture?

Exactly what is it about Elmo that puts kids into Beatle-mania type frenzy?

The other day I got up and made coffee with the thought that soon I will be able to do this every morning for a week without going to work. Some of my favorite times with Roy have been in the car, driving across the country, scanning the radio and talking, talking, talking. This is ever present.

Work is unbelievably busy right now as we're getting ready to open a new, amazing branch. I need to cram as much trip preparation into this 3-day weekend as possible, but it won't be without some fun with my husband as we take Sophie to her Granny's and the two of us go off to see friends and celebrate another August birthday.

Is there something useful I can do with all this dog hair?

Moments like these.

7 comments:

Mary Bix said...

Gather up all the dog hair and spin it into a lovely shawl for yourself.

kclblogs said...

if you really want to, there are places you can send your dog hair and they will spin it into yarn for you!

beinmyOWNself said...

a wendy afghan!!!! i'm for it! the pic of sophie and roy in the bathroom is quite possibly the cutest thing i've seen all year!

Modernicon said...

Solidarity. i was also up at 5:30 am with a 2 year old. The old difference, Scout was shoving cherrios up my nose at 5:45 to wake me up as I was napping beside her to the tune of Saturday morning television.

Nikki said...

I love the pic of her reading her book. She is so wonderful!

Rae said...

I can't wait to discuss all of those questions of life with you... in person!!!
See you soon!

Leigh said...

I love the pics! LOVE THEM ALL!