Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Really Great Day

It is very, very rare that I have a day of doing nothing. My weekends are generally a flurry of laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, and sweeping/vacuuming mounds of dog hair. I love the caretaker roll (most of the time) and consider this to be a necessary, and fulfilling, part of my life.

But this morning I woke up with a terrible, terrible headache pounding behind my eyes. It wasn't long after I got up that I took two Advil, grabbed an icepack, and went back to bed. Roy and Sophie both have colds and up until this point, I had been spared.

After 15 minutes or so I had had enough self pity. We ate scrambled eggs with coffee, and orange juice, and braved the weather for a trip to the Library.

I work at the Central Library, so I almost never go as a patron. Sure, I'll run in to get a movie or something I have on hold, but I am not the library user I was before I started working there. Yes, I check out just as many books, but I'm no longer prone to loosing myself in the 600's.

This past September, Lexington opened their largest Branch, the Northside Branch. As the Assistant to the Director, I have seen this branch built from the very beginning stages almost 3 years ago. I was excited to take Sophie to the Children's Area, and to show Roy around.

I filled my mug with hot chocolate and coffee, we all bundled up, and took off. Sophie played with the Thomas the Train table and I could see her through the glass as I picked out books about the Moon, Knuffle Bunny, and about half a dozen others. I found an amazing cookbook to use as inspiration for Christmas Dinner and Roy disappeared for a rather significant amount of time.

An hour later, we walked back out into the rain and came home. I put on a pot of beef stew, we read Sophie her new books many, many times, and I picked up my knitting again. Sophie fell asleep on the couch and Roy and I just sat, enjoying the quiet. No TV. No Radio. Just the sounds of rain, bubbling stew, and Sophie's breath.

After lunch, I took a nap (joy!) and came back to the living room for Wallace and Grommit and lots of family snuggle time.

Tomorrow I will have piles of laundry and dog hair and we still have to go to the Grocery Store. But today was totally worth it.


Rae said...

Oh, aren't those days what life is made of?? I know we have to pay for them.... eventually.... but when they are happening they are the best in the world. I love that you could take the day!
(Hope everyone is feeling better!)

Anne and Leigh said...

Sorry you werent feeling well, but so glad you got to enjoy your wondeful day! I had one of those myself, this weekend! They are priceless.


Jen said...

Sounds holy.

Modernicon said...

I find myself think about this post from time to time and wondering "Will the stew burn?" :-)