Saturday, August 8, 2009

Raw Tomato Sauce

I don't know about you, but between my neighbor's tomato plant and the abundance people bring at work, I have a LOT of tomatoes. (I'd like to add my tomato plant to the mix, but it's pretty weak in the production department - the taste though is outstanding!)

I've been looking for cheap and delicious ways to use them. Last week I checked out Alice Waters book "the art of simple food" and I knew I'd be able to find the perfect recipe. I made this tonight and it was exactly what I was looking for.

Raw Tomato Sauce
Makes about 2 cups

"this recipe is only for tomatoes that are at their absolute peak: dead ripe and full of flavor"

Core and cut into medium dice 2lbs raw tomatoes (I used 2 large)

Put them in a bowl and toss them with:
Salt
1/4 cup torn basil leaves
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Cover the bowl tightly and set aside for at least 1 hour before tossing with hot, fresh cooked, drained pasta. (I used penne)

seriously good. I think it tastes like summer. Had I had a few bits of fresh mozzarella I would've thrown them in with the pasta, but wouldn't dare add anything else.

3 comments:

beinmyOWNself said...

not even garlic?

kclblogs said...

mmmmmmm, sounds perfect.

Claire said...

and tomato season is almost here! thanks for this!