Friday, March 14, 2008

Responsibility

This week, I was directly responsible for someone else's misery. I knew, even as the words left my mouth, that I had made a grave error.

Indeed.

So, today I apologized.

I'm trying to curb the nausea I feel in my belly. So I'm going to make a list of the things that are good about this awful situation.

I took responsibility instead of placing blame.
I rejected my fear of confrontation and apologized face to face, instead of sending the easier, and much more woosie, email.
I listened instead of arguing a defense.
I learned a valuable lesson.

I must always remind myself that I am in this world to do good, not harm. I must never lose sight of that. This was a hard, hard reminder.

3 comments:

Mary Bix said...

I know what it feels like to say something or do something to someone that is hurtful - sometimes it's hard to apologize face to face but....you did it! Good for you! (This would be a much better world if people took responsibility for their actions.) Mom

The Pinwheel Princess said...

Today has been a day of lessons it would seem. The important thing is that you have a kind heart and you apologized.
Think of all those who not only cower out of an apology but never feel the need to apologize to begin with.

Rachel said...

Oh boy, it sure takes courage to say things face to face...good for you for doing just that!