Saturday, February 27, 2010

ten things

Jenn tagged me in her blog to list "10 things that make me happy." Humor me as I stand on my proverbial soap box.

I believe that happiness is a choice.

(Now, I am blessed not suffer from depression, battle addiction, or struggle with psychological issues that impact ones every day life. I cannot imagine how such things impact ones life and won't even try to comment. I have often asked myself how and why I have lived such a blessed life while so many suffer. I don't have an answer.)

I consider myself to be a happy person, but it wasn't always so. Oh, I was a moody teen!! And even into my 20's I could easily find myself bitter and selfish. I like to say I'm a "recovering Leo", always trying to keep my ego and selfishness in check. (Don't ask Roy for his opinion on this topic, because this wonderful, Libra man sees me at my very worst.)

It's my belief, and those of you who talk to me regularly have heard me say it time and time again, that you're never done in your quest for happiness. It's a constant, life journey.

This is a good time for me to have been tasked with the "ten things" meme, so thank you Jenn. It's February and I'm moody. I'm feeling selfish. My house is perpetually messy. We're about to embark on a major life change with the new baby and Roy's work. I'm itching for spring. I want to open windows and air out my stuffy house. I could go on and on about the things that are frustrating me at this very moment.

But why? What good will it do?

After a particularly frustrating day, my wise father told me, "There are things you can control and things you can't. Don't waste your time worrying about the wrong one."

Well, I can control my happiness, even if not-so-happy things are happening.

Suffice it to say, I have enjoyed the past few days thinking about happiness.

There are so many things that make me happy, 10 doesn't even begin to cover it. New office supplies. The way bare feet feel on a freshly mopped wood floor. An impromptu dance party. But this question required me to think waaaay down into the recesses of my happiness meter. So here they are.

1. Baking bread in a clean house. I love a clean house. I love baking bread. But there is just something about bread rising in the kitchen and my housework is complete. It's probably one of my most peaceful places.

2. Sophie's morning walk to school. If it's nasty we'll drive and drop her off on the way to work, but most days she and I walk to school. It's at the end of our street and occasionally our cat, Tigerlily, follows us the whole way. We look at footprints, birds, and wave and talk to our neighbors. Sometimes I wish it were farther away.

3. My job. This doesn't mean I always want to work or that I wouldn't enjoy staying home every day, but I'm passionate about the work that I do and I love the ins and outs of my day. There is great satisfaction in doing.

4. Skyping with my family. I love seeing my family members and watching Sophie show pictures she drew, tell her tales, listen to mom read stories and watch her chat with Ella like they're 16.

5. Reading myself to sleep. Most nights I find myself falling asleep mid sentence, turning off my light, and rolling over into a wonderful slumber. It's a bit of a curse because this can also happen in the middle of the day, but its a worthy trade.

6. When Sophie tells me she loves me. This happens every day, unprompted, and is usually part of a deep, lovely, Sophie-initiated snuggle. This should probably be #1.

7. The first cup of coffee in the morning. Nuf said.

8. My guilty pleasure. And here comes a deep breath and swallow of pride. I love - and I mean LOVE - the nights when Roy is out, Sophie is in bed, and I can sit on the couch with a bag of cheetos and watch a marathon of America's Next Top Model without anyone judging me. This happens very rarely, and when it does, I wallow in a deep vat of trash for both soul and body. Sweet, happy trash.

9. Picking up where we left off. I'm a pretty bad friend. I don't return phone calls. I back out of plans. I rarely leave the house! But I love friends who I can go weeks... months... years without talking to and then, WHAM, here they are. And it's perfect. And they understand. And it's like no time has passed. That is a special love.

10. Roy Miller Cornett, Jr. After nearly 8 years of marriage, 10 years of living together, and in the 12 years since I first laid eyes on him, Roy and I have created a life together that I never, in my wildest dreams, could have hoped for. Knowing that I get to take this journey with him makes me just about as happy as is humanly possible. Even if he does have to be asked to pick up his socks.

4 comments:

kclblogs said...

lovely, lovely post, AM!

Thanks for your insight on happiness, too.

Strangeite said...

I love you too, Girl.

Melissa said...

I really look forward to your blog posts and do feel a slight tinge of excitement when I see a new one!

Jennifer Chappell Deckert said...

Thanks, this was just what I needed to read today.